Welcome to the Friends of the Howland Public Library.
Our goals are to:
(1) Increase community awareness and public support of the library.
(2) Sponsor cultural, educational, and vocational programs of interest to people of all ages and needs.
(3) Raise funds for the improvement of the physical state of the library.
Friends groups operate independent of, but in cooperation with, libraries. Friends groups have their own officers, bylaws, 501c3 status, and membership. To find out more about the Friends of HPL, visit friendsofhpl or email email@example.com.
Some of our accomplishments:
- Purchased new public computers for the library by matching funds from the Gates Foundation.
- Paid to restore the portrait of General Joseph Howland, after whom our library was named.
- Founder of the Howland Public Library in Beacon, NY
- Purchase T-shirts for the Battle of the Books Team – a teen literature competition.
- Helped create the beautiful library mural at 313 Main Street in Beacon. And more!
- Howland Public Library Mural by Rick Price
- Purchased new tables for library reading and reference areas, and for the Community Room
- Matched construction grant funds to improve the library facade and are raising funds to complete this project
- Supplemented library operating funds to provide free downloadable music to the community (Freegal)
- Host fundraising events that provide entertainment for all ages
- Send mailings to inform the community about library events and issues
- The Friends operate Beacon Reads, a bookstore to benefit the Howland Public Library. Beacon Reads is located at 309 Main Street, Beacon, NY. At this time, Beacon Reads is the only bookstore in Beacon, and it attracts visitors to Main Street
And much more!!!
As a Friend, you are part of a volunteer group that believe in the importance of keeping information, reading materials, and cultural activities freely accessible to the residents of our state-chartered service area, the Beacon City School District.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
To become a Friend of the Howland Public Library, please print out and complete this application:
Select a membership level:
__ $10 __ $15 __ $25 __ Other $ _________
Make your check out to Friends of the Howland Public Library.
City: _________________ State: ______ Zip: _________
Email address: ___________________________________
Mail the application and check to:Friends of the Howland Public Library c/o Howland Public Library 313 Main Street Beacon, NY 12508
The entire amount of your Friends membership is tax deductible.
Your contribution may be eligible for a matching grant from your employer. Please check.
Friends of the Howland Public Library welcome new volunteers. Please check any of the following tasks you can help with:
__ fundraising & events __ mailings __ publicity
__ steering committee (able to devote several hours each month)
Thank you for supporting the Friends of the Howland Public Library!